Sep 17th, 2010 by Enrico
I think it’s time that we have a serious conversation. You see, there is a problem that is growing in the United States by epic proportions. To put it bluntly, this problem is killing us and our children. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Obesity is linked to 300,000 American deaths every year.
That means in the time it will take you to watch this documentary, 60 Americans will die from obesity. And in some states, the numbers are even more shocking.
The Obese Problem
To make matters worse, obesity isn’t an easy problem to fix. In fact, obesity is a complex issue with a multitude of contributing factors including things like stress, diet, portion sizes, activity levels, fast food, government subsidies, food industry lobbyists, etc, etc. The list goes on.
The Solution to Obesity
The best solution for us is to educate ourselves. When we, as consumers, know the truth behind the causes of obesity, we can then make decisions that are in our best interests and the interests of our children.
Be the Difference – Spread the Truth
You can be the difference. I beg you to take the next step. If you have a friend, coworker, or loved one that is struggling with obesity, share this information with them. Email it to them, send them a facebook message, talk about it – it doesn’t matter, just get the word out. Then, join me on my facebook page, where we take the conversation even further. I would love to hear your views on any of the following topics that were discussed:
- 12-year-old Brooke has liposuction surgery
- Our Hunter-Gatherer roots
- Solution as easy as Diet and Exercise?
- The impact of Stress on Obesity
- The change in society’s view of weight
- Food as an addiction
- Obesity from a religious point of view
- How important is the local farmer’s market?
- Government subsidies for Corn and its role in all of our foods
- Unhealthy foods are significantly cheaper than healthy foods
- The decline in children’s activity levels
- No Child Left Behind reduction of Physical Education classes
- Government reimbursement of high-calorie school lunches
- Typical School Lunches
- School vending machine problem
- Is Childhood marketing to blame?
- The Shrek Hypocrisy
- Is this a problem of Personal Responsibility?
- Food Industry’s solution is to just exercise off the excess calorie consumption
- Government filled with Food Industry lobbyists
- The Surgeon General’s call to action on obesity
- Active military is facing a weight problem
- Obese employees cost more in healthcare costs
- School Gardens with kids in control
- Looking to the future of Food